Many categories do not have a specific rule associated with them (although some like Agent, Summoner, Summon, and Undead do), but they do indicate the type of unit that a model is.
- Mystic: The Magic users; they don't have the durability of Warriors, but many offer Ranged Attacks and/or buffs or debuffs.
- Prowler: The sneaky guys; often fairly low level cost, and many have the Stealth ability. Many use Subterfuge as the basis for their Actions, which means that unless they are equal or higher level they cannot affect Intangible targets.
- Warrior: The Party's fighters, either at range or close up.Some of them are the 'tanks' of the force, able to soak up Attacks. Their Actions are often Ki based, which has an effect when it comes to targeting Intangible Units.
- Leader: Usually combined with other categories; Parties are limited to 1 Leader per 250 Levels. Leaders are typically powerful units, often with Party-buffs or other unique abilities beyond the scope of most other Units. Some Leaders are Optional Leaders, who have the choice of being fielded as a Leader or non-Leader Unit (costing more and with better abilities as a Leader).
These are categories of classifiers/descriptors that are in addition to the main categories above.
- Agent: The foot soldiers of the various Organizations, Agents can usually only be fielded in Organization Parties, and not Faction Parties (Light or Dark), except for Shinobi which can be used in either. Agents have customisable ability options and each Agent can be taken more than once per Party depending on game size.
- Arbiter: Characters able to influence their subordinates more than most Leaders. They have free extra Actions for their Party to benefit from.
- Controller: Characters able to guide and enhance Undead and stop them going out of control.
- Summoner: Mystics able to Summon otherworldly beings to the mortal world.
- Gear: Gears are either Technomagical Powered Armour or Technomagical Golems primarily used by Wissenschaft. They offer decent Armor and Life Points, but offset durability by being fairly easy to hit, and they usually cannot have Advantage Cards.
- Summon: Supernatural creatures only able to manifest in the physical world when invoked by a Summoner. They can be powerful and offer unusual abilities, but their tether to the material world is limited.
- Undead: Necrotechnological constructs; Undead are not able to have Advantage Cards and are subject to certain special rules. Undead units are a mix of cheap troops and more expensive specialists. Non-unique Undead may be taken multiple times relative to game size, but unlike Agents are not limited to Organization (usually Black Sun) Parties.
In the picture:
- Gear Mk. Trithemius: Mystic; Gear
- Sarah Reindhold: Mystic; Summoner (Light)
- XII: Leader; Warrior
- The Colonel: Warrior; Arbiter (if part of Team Les Jaeger)
- Kingsley Warlock: Warrior; Mystic; Warrior; Controller
- Hamadria: Mystic; Summon (Light)
- Empire Agent: Warrior; Agent
- Styx: Prowler; Undead
- Kagemaru: Mystic; Prowler; Optional Leader; Summoner (Dark)